Mara in Chile

Mara in Chile
Click for more photos (Facebook Album 3)

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Planning, Processing, Pondering


I can't believe how soon I am going home. This place feels like home. I'm not ready for reality. I'm not prepared to say goodbye to this place. I don't want my adventure to be over.
But before my adios to Chile (or hopefully hasta luego), I am trying to go out with a bang. I realized how much of this country I still haven't seen and how much I really want to see more. I had already sketched out activities for my Mom and myself around Pucón, but I frantically started trying to fit in a trip to Patagonia. I wanted to see some glaciers and fjords and the tip of this string bean-shaped country! Amidst our emails back and forth, Mom decided to change her ticket so she arrives Sunday.
Alas, I think a trip all the way to Southern Patagonia (Parques Torres del Paine, Laguna San Rafael, and Tierra del Fuego) is out of the question. It is too far, too expensive, too time-consuming, too harsh a climate during this time of year, and just too intense for me and Momma. Northern Patagonia, however, seems in our reach. This is the youngest region of the country, partly because it is only navigable by a series of roads that lead directly into the ocean and ferries. We are upping the budget of our trip, but we are going to see 3-4 vastly different regions of the country in 10 days, which is still only a small representation of everything there is here. You would honestly need years to cover all of the (from North to South) driest deserts in the world, geysers, salt flats, beach towns, vineyards, volcanos, rivers, lakes, islands, penguin sanctuaries, fjords, glaciers...and of course National Parks along the whole way.

Our itinerary as of now:
October 10: Santiago-->Valparaiso (beach town next to Santiago with colorful houses on hills)
October 11: Viña del Mar (beach town next door)
October 12: Santiago-->Coyhaique via plane (Northern Patagonia)-->Puerto Puyuhuapi via bus
October 13-14: Parque Nacional Queulat (glaciers, waterfalls, possibly via horse-back)
October 15: Puerto Chacabuco-->Puerto Montt via ferry north through fjords
October 16-17: either visit island of Chiloé (kayak near breeding penguins) or visit Lakes Region or visit Cochamó Valley ("Chilean Yosemite")
October 18-20: Pucón (white water rafting, hot springs, kayaking, waterfalls, skiing if the lifts on the volcano are still running)
October 21: Santiago-->San Francisco

I might be biting off more than we can chew, but I think it is worth a shot. Lonely Planet admits that "the hardest part of a visit to Chile is planning your day." We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment