Mara in Chile

Mara in Chile
Click for more photos (Facebook Album 3)

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Afiche Final (Ojalá)

The title of this post means Final Poster (God willing). Gloria and I have been working on this to the point that we are both ready to just be done. It reminds me of college applications and Jumpstart scholarship essays, where I revised minute details that others probably wouldn't even notice until I just had to take a step back and let it be.
Here it is:


Last night I went to Mama's y Tapa's, figuring that there would be bigger crowds than usual because of the competition. And boy were there! The front bar/restaurant area was bumping, and there was a whole other bar through a back door that I hadn't even realized was there. There was a DJ and tons of people dancing and partying into the not so wee hours of the morning. My Frutilla nickname has caught on with different crowds, including some of the lift attendants at the mountain and the bartender at Mama's and random strangers trying to start up conversation. I like the alter ego, and having a nickname makes me feel like I am a part of this place. At some points last night I told people I was from Pucón. No one believed me, but it was fun to see their reactions. I like when people are surprised I am a gringa.

I have a strange lumpy painless bruise type thing on the back of my leg. I noticed it after skiing yesterday, but it grew. I think it might be from my ski socks pinching my calves, but who knew socks could be so dangerous? It is a dramatic shade of purple in person.



Gloria came up with another project for me, now that the poster is done. She made new cushions and wants to repaint all of the outdoor patio furniture. Fun fun. I think we will go to the paint store tomorrow and then she'll leave me to it. I am becoming a bit of a Jane of all trades.

I finally asked how long they have been running the hostel: 3 years total, but only 1 at this location. Before that, she was an executive secretary. Their old location was bigger and harder to maintain, and they didn't do their own tours from there. Then they found this place. Their first winter was dead, but the summer was great. This winter is much better, and I can only imagine things will keep improving. I explained why I think Chile is such a great tourist destination and how I think it is bound to blow up soon as more Americans discover it. I told them that all of my facebooking and blogging is a little bit of marketing for them, and that everyone at home wishes they could come see the "natural paradise" for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment