Mara in Chile

Mara in Chile
Click for more photos (Facebook Album 3)

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Piedras Román


Last night while at my hostel's bar, I finally tried Chile's famous pisco (35% alcohol grape brandy) and I made friends with a guide leading a rock climbing trip today (instead of going to Valparaíso, which I can do another time). Very good decisions on my part. Pisco was good, although I managed to drink little enough of it to avoid the notorious hangover, which meant that I was awake and ready to go climbing at 8am. We took the metro to a sort of commuter rail to a shared taxi to a trailhead, then hiked for about 45 minutes to a spot with huge volcanic rocks next to a gorgeous stream (and of course the snow-topped Andes always in the distance).

The group: Jesus (Peruvian working and living in Santiago, who is a guide employed by the hostel and who invited me while at the bar), Marko (Chilean hostel employee and novice guide), Aileen (fellow hostel guest from Berkeley who rock climbs 3 days per week), and myself. Needless to say, I felt a little out of my league, but I was up for the challenge and couldn't wait to scramble up to see the epic views. The first climb was "easy enough anyone could do it," according to Jesus. I'm not sure I agree with that, but the volcanic rock has enough random holes that it was easy enough to find footholds and handholds. And the first route was at least vertical or at a slight forward angle, whereas the others were not. I was proud to reach the top, enjoy the view, then head down to learn how to belay. Very cool.

The second route I was more comfortable and sped up, then the 3rd was intense. The face was at a backwards angle, so you had to unclip yourself as you went up and cling on with your arms since your legs and body wanted to hang off. Also, we were climbing up to an edge, then trying to swing up to reach some of the holds. I fell off a few times (squealing even though the ropes and harness caught me), but kept trying and impressed Jesus with my tiny biceps. Eventually, my legs were shaking and my arms were shaking and my fingertips hurt and I had gotten to the highest point, I just hadn't swung my body around the edge, so I went down.


Defeat didn't taste good, but then we ate amazing tuna sandwiches with avocado, tomato, and bell pepper while sitting on a boulder in the river. I looked around and said, "It really doesn't get any better than this." Marko said, "What doesn't?" And I said, "Life."

After lunch there were 2 more routes. I was exhausted from my repeated attempts at Route 3, but gave it my all for Route 4, then took a nap in a hammock for Route 5.

We hiked out as the sunset tinged the snow on the mountains pink and the almost full moon rose. What a day. What a life.

Tomorrow, I am taking advantage of Free Sundays to visit Santiago's museums. Something slightly less active for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment