Mara in Chile

Mara in Chile
Click for more photos (Facebook Album 3)

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Bicentennial Bustle and Bust

Crowds came. Hustle and bustle. Breakfasts for ten are quite a production, especially on mornings after nights at the bar and when everyone must leave for climbing the volcano by 7 and Gloria doesn't wake up until 6:45. I juggled slicing and toasting an entire loaf of bread and re-filling marmalade bowls and butter plates and coffee pots, all quite groggy. I've been busy, but not really busy in a way that would make for interesting blogging. No new pictures of outdoor adventures; just interesting conversations, some with 4 Americans teaching English in Santiago, 6 Belgians doing a semester abroad, and a couple who met in Australia and have been doing long distance between the Bay Area and Holland for 6 years.
I almost got to do the volcano as an unofficial assistant guide, but having me would have required an additional actual assistant guide and none were available. But as the season picks up, we should be doing more volcano trips at the hostel instead of through other agencies (we have all of the gear and hire our own guide), so I'm sure I will have more opportunities.
Today was the bicentennial, but it rained constantly so parades were cancelled. I went out to a discoteca last night with some of the Belgians, and Chileans do things late (girls get in free until 1am, so that is when we arrived). I didn't mind having the day to sleep and relax. And I'm hoping another day of constant rain means more snow, which means more lifts might be open when I get back to the volcano to ski (although I'm not sure when that will be).
The guests have been very nice. I am often treated to wine, beer, extra dinner, bites of chocolate, card games, new music, and pleasant company. The Belgians left this morning, and I already miss them. They added some young blood to the place. Tonight the older Dutch/American couple took me out for dinner and ice cream. If you travel with people constantly, it can be easy to get bored with them. The various groups like having a fresh face as part of the crowd, just to spice things up.

No comments:

Post a Comment